Tuesday, December 7, 2010

In the beginning...I was fit

Going way back in 2010, I was actually very fit!

We were members of the YMCA, and my friend Kendra and I decided to run the Fun Run 5k in early April. I trained by doing cardiovascular and strength training a few times a week and running 5k at least twice a week. Buff mama!

This year the rest of the family did the 1 mile. Nate registered for the 5k but changed his mind. Lauren ran with Brian and their time was very good, though she was freezing and very grumpy. Nate was 2nd or 3rd in his division and Riley finished somewhere in the middle.





Included in your registration fee for the 5k is a runners shirt. The Y never fails to shock and awe, this year it was a ghastly, stop traffic type of yellow. You can see it in the dark it's so bright
Kendra never got hers but she didn't seem too broken up about it... yikes! The only good aspect of this was that even when runners wore them underneath jackets, a little sliver of bright yellow was always visible.


Though thankfully not rainy, that day was VERY cold. Not just in temperature, but there was an Arctic wind that we were running against in the beginning that would take my literal breath away. I had to stop running and walk backwards to breathe. So this is what ashma feels like!
Kendra and I started by running together but she is much more of a runner and got a stellar time of about 25 minutes. Though I felt like I was moving slowly, thanks in large part to the wind, I'm proud to have ran most of it. On the way back up the hill to the finish line, I was pacing this old bag-lady type (see picture) and dangit, I was determined to beat her, which I did, though barely! My time was around 38 minutes and that is fantastic as I have never ran a 5k in less than 40 minutes.
Now funny thing is, this was the last time I had a real work out in 2010. Unknown to me, at the time of this run, I was about a week pregnant with baby #4! Two days later my period was due and never came :) Thus ended my running streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment